NEW RIVER HEAD
Updated 2 days ago
Situated between Rosebery Avenue, Hardwick Street, Arlington Way and Myddelton Passage the New River Head consists of five buildings with wonderful landscaped Gardens. The site is widely recognised as the birthplace of the modern water supply engineered by Sir Hugh Myddelton in the 17th Century, bringing fresh water from Hertfordshire which gave London its first organised supply of clean water. In 1913 the Metropolitan Water Board commissioned New River Head as its main headquarters. The Main New River Head Building replaced the 1613 Water House which was the original Head Quarters of the New River Company... The New Building designed in 1914 by the well-known Edwardian architect Austen Hall was completed in 1920 and is a classic example of English Baroque School displaying features worthy of Britain's finest stately homes. Retained inside the building is the 17th Century Court Room now known as the Oak room which was rescued from the original building. This Grade II listed building..
Also known as: The New River Head