Updated 2 days ago
Red House Estate, Moor Monkton, York YO26 8JQ
The Red House is a Country Estate set in the Vale of York on the banks of the River Ouse, 6 miles upstream from York. Early records show it as the 14th century fortified manor of the Ughtred family, the moated site of which is still visible in the grounds. The Slingsby family of Knaresborough took over the estate and adjacent villages of Scagglethorpe and Moor Monkton in the 16th century. The village of Scagglethorpe has since disappeared and Red House became the manor house for Moor Monkton. The Slingsbys built the present house in 1607 and added a new facade in the 1860's. In 1902 the Carteret School moved from Harrogate to Red House, eventually becoming Red House Preparatory School... The estate was bought by the Gordon family in 1975 and we continued to run the school until 2001. Now Red House has changed focus and is the site of an extensive Equestrian Centre. We also have Residential and Commercial Properties to let in the grounds and there are stabling facilities for DIY..
Also known as: Red House Estate
VAT numbers: 984 6060 91