Updated 27 days ago
St Alfege with St Peter's Church of England Primary School Creek Road Greenwich London SE10 9RB
Our school is situated close to the centre of Greenwich, near the Cutty Sark. The original school was called St Peter's School and was adjoined to St Peter's Church. The main school building dates from 1860 and has been listed by English Heritage as being of historic and architectural interest. The saints in our school name are associated with the history of Greenwich. St Alfege was a much loved and revered Archbishop of Canterbury, who in 1012 was abducted and murdered by invading Danes on the site of St Alfege Church. We were delighted to be involved in the Millenium Pilgrimage to commemorate the martyrdom of St Alfege, and especially to receive a visit from the Archbishop of Canterbury. St Peter's Church was damaged by a bomb in the second world war and subsequently demolished. In 1951 the parish of St Alfege and St Peter were formerly united. The school changed its name from St Peter's School to St Alfege with St Peter's Church of England Primary School on 24 April 1972... As a..