MPL

Updated 157 days ago
  • Age: 145 years
  • ID: 16020422/131
814 W. Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233
The Milwaukee Public Library (MPL) was formally established and opened on July 8, 1878. It occupied 2 other locations during these early years. However, after running out of space and experiencing several fires, the Library began planning for a permanent, fireproof building. Around this time the Milwaukee Public Museum (MPM) was also looking for a new home. In 1890 Adolph Meinecke, MPM Trustee, and Klas Linderfelt, MPL Director, proposed the idea for a joint building. At that time, both the Library and the Museum were City departments. Once the decision was made, from 1890-1893 the City of Milwaukee began purchasing homes/lots on what is now 814 W Wisconsin Ave (formerly Grand Ave). The City solicited designs for the building and selected local Milwaukee architects Ferry & Clas. Work began in October 1895 and lasted until 1899. The total cost for land, building and equipment was $780,000, which would be roughly $27 million today. On October 3, 1898, the Library area of the building was..
Also known as: Milwaukee Public Library
Primary location: Milwaukee United States
  • 0
  • 0
Interest Score
4
HIT Score
0.96
Domain
mpl.org

Actual
www.mpl.org

IP
192.34.61.98

Status
OK

Category
Library
0 comments Add a comment