Updated 73 days ago
St Peter's Church Church St, Old Woking, Woking Surrey GU22 9JE
We are located in the village of Old Woking which is at the very southern edge of the town Woking. The village was the commercial hub of Woking for most of the 20th Century however the introduction of the Railway Station changed that and the town of Woking then grew up around it. The church is of Norman origin and contains the oldest door in Surrey and the third oldest in the country. The door dates back to approximately to 1090 AD. The village is also home to the ruins of Woking Palace which was used mostly during the Tudor period by Edward IV and Henry VII. The oldest bells in the belfry date back to 1684. The tenor was recast in 1887 by John Warner and Sons of London. There used to be only a ring of 6 before two trebles were added and cast in 1928 by Mears and Stainbank of London. The most recent work on the bells occured in 1972 when the bells were rehung by Taylor's of Loughborough. The bell frame is currently on two levels with bells 3 and 4 on the top frame. We are part of the..
Also known as: St. Peter Woking Ringers