Updated 15 days ago
- Age: 27 years
- ID: 38788887/7
Coxs Rd, North Ryde NSW 2113
The brick buildings of the NSW Schoolhouse Museum are the first school buildings of North Ryde Public School, dating back to 1877. Following lobbying by the local community, the school started as a single schoolroom with separate teacher's residence built on one acre of land donated by Richard Wicks in 1877. The school, named City View Public School, opened on the 25th January 1878 to 45 pupils taught by teacher, Charles Crew. Its name changed to North Ryde Public School in 1879...
When the school opened on the 25th January 1878, teacher Charles Crew taught the inaugural class of 45 pupils, which increased to 53 within the first week. He died of a lung infection on 11th August 1880, aged 36, leaving a wife and 6 children. This 1878 newspaper article reports on his appointment...
The NSW Schoolhouse Museum of Public Education provides a glimpse of schooling from the past. The museum is a popular excursion venue for schools.
Registration numbers: 88 932 157 875 (W)